We are currently redesigning our website.
For current information and updates, please check out our social media channels.
We hope to be able to welcome you to our new website soon.
We work to improve energy sustainability and security.
The sun is the world’s most abundant renewable energy resource. Every hour, it supplies enough energy to power the world for an entire year. Photovoltaics (PV) use semiconductor materials to absorb solar radiation and convert it into electricity without fuel, water, emissions or moving parts.
By 2040, PV is expected to account for one fourth of global energy capacity additions. The transition to a low carbon economy is crucial to ensuring energy security, addressing water scarcity and mitigating climate change.
For the EU to become the first climate-neutral continent by 2050, there is not one solution. When determining green technologies and sustainable solutions it is key to look at the whole life cycle of products and get the renewable energy mix right with a low environmental footprint, adaptability and reliability. Thin-film photovoltaic technologies have a crucial role to play in multiple applications.
Thin-film technologies have the smallest environmental footprint of all photovoltaic conversion technologies. Due to their energy and material efficiency in manufacturing, they also have a low resource use. In combination with their reuse and recycling abilities, thin-film PV is an integral part of a circular economy.
PVthin is an international, not-for-profit coalition representing global leaders in the Thin-Film Solar Industry and broader value chain based on chalcogenide, perovskite, tandem and/or heterojunction PV technologies, and any other thin-film or emerging PV technology. Its objective is to strengthen global energy security and help create sustainable energy infrastructures by promoting the social, economic and environmental benefits of thin-film solar photovoltaic technologies.
To strengthen global energy security and help create sustainable energy infrastructures by promoting the social, economic and environmental benefits of thin-film solar photovoltaic technologies.
Concretely, PVthin is working to:
- Strengthen global energy security and support the transition to a low carbon economy by promoting thin-film solar photovoltaic technologies
- Cooperate with associations and industries that support responsible product management at end-of-life and internalised holistic environmental footprinting based on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Strongly encourage resource-efficient production, sustainable raw material use, and responsible PV recycling and recovery programs and technologies
- Educate policymakers of the potential of thin-film PV and the environmental, social, economic and technological advantages of thin-film
- Provide a platform for research into both mature and emerging thin-film PV technologies
PVthin is an international, not-for-profit coalition representing global leaders in the Thin-Film Solar Industry and broader value chain based on chalcogenide perovskite, tandem and heterojunction PV technologies.
PVthin is registered as a non-profit international association under Belgian law.